FAQ  •  Login

Window Shoot-out

<<

Parsnip

Private 2
Private 2

Post Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:27 am

Window Shoot-out

Hey guys, could you give me some constructive criticism of my new tut please?
tbh I haven't even re-read it yet so there might be some awful mistakes in there, or bits which don't make sense etc. Be brutal ;)

www.gregbdesign.co.uk/tut_window_shoot.html
<<

Nicadeamas

Captain
Captain

Post Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:23 pm

Re: Window Shoot-out

Sadly it looks like you have a bit of work to do on this one.

Well, So far I haven't been able to get the video to play more then audio. But that could be on my end.

1. This isn't really part of the tutorial, but if you want to set a good example in general construction you should keep things on the grid, preferably but not required, on the lighter colored lines of the grid. Specifically verticies(Vertex points) should be on the grid. Now with your window, it should be fine and dandy. But for your skybox brushwork, you would want that all lined up.
If you wanted everything to be perfectly perfect, then you would want the walls to be 16, 24, or 32 units thick rather then 22. And the skybox floor wouldn't go lower then the level floor. But personally I wouldn't change it because I wouldn't expect someone looking at the tutorial to realize that maybe they should be building stuff the way you do. (Unless you make a note of it.)
Then that box the tree is in could be a func_Detail too. Along with the little wall where the player starts. The big walls at strange angles are okay as world geomatry as long as the vertex points are lined up with the grid. The window frames should also be func_detail.

2. The texture for the ground is missing in HL2 So I am assuming this is for Ep2.

3. Because of the texture you were useing for the glass, you only need it on one side. The other side should have Skip or Nodraw.

4. When having the player... uhh, person. Turn the small pieces of window into func_breakable. You should tell them to do it one by one.

5. Why are you converting 3 of the func_brushes into phisy objects instead of starting them as phisy objects and just enabling motion?

6. You can at random, get an error where the dustpuff are still going off and the combine is done shooting. May also want to make it so the combine doesn't have any nades.

7. May be a good idea to up the phisy explosion up to 25 or 50.

Aside from that. Looks pretty good so far. Keep it up!
<<

Parsnip

Private 2
Private 2

Post Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:56 am

Thanks Nic some good points there.
The less-than-perfect brushwork I don't really care about tbh, I know it's not best practice but I only cared about the actual scripted stuff.
Cobmine nades, good call.
I meant to tell them to do it one by one on the breakables, thanks for pointing that out.

The reason I made the window 2 sided was because if it's nodraw the combine's shots make the wrong sound. Is there a way to have it nodraw but still keep the glass impact sounds?
I never saw that dustpuff problem in testing but I guess it could easily happen, thanks.

The reason I convert them to phys is that they look different to the func_brushes around them, because of the glass texture. It's a real pain in the arse making it look like a window and not a bunch of triangles.

Gonna go edit the tut now
<<

Parsnip

Private 2
Private 2

Post Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:17 am

K I made the changes. Appreciate the crits mate.

Added this line in response to the dustpuff thing:
"If the dustpuffs are firing at the wrong time, just change their timings in the logic_relay. Or if you want to get really clever you could set up a trigger on the outside of the window which fires a dustpuff every time it gets hit."
<<

Nicadeamas

Captain
Captain

Post Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:58 pm

Parsnip wrote: Is there a way to have it nodraw but still keep the glass impact sounds?

Put the nodraw on the inside? Might work, I didnt try it but it makes sense that it would work.
Another thing you could do is rip the glass texture, and make up a new vmf... I think it is the block loss "1" thing you need to cut out in order to make it so the glass only shows on one side.
Or you could just use another glass. I was thinking with the way the other pieces fall it out it might look believable if you use the glass with the little wires crossing through it.
<<

vecima

Type 3
Type 3

Post Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:51 pm

I didn't have time to read everything but It looks pretty good. Since Nicadeamas already commented, I doubt I'd find anything else anyhow ;).

Couldn't get the video to work, that's the only thing I've noticed so far.
<<

vecima

Type 3
Type 3

Post Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:05 am

I think it's a bot. You have one post to prove you're not.
<<

Nicadeamas

Captain
Captain

Post Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:41 pm

lol. I was thinking the same. Kinda an odd question to put on this old thread.

Return to Tutorials