FAQ  •  Login

Starcraft SP Mod

<<

reacT

Private First Class
Private First Class

Post Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:11 pm

Starcraft SP Mod

Right, i've been playing too much SC2 lately and neglecting source sdk, so i thought. Should i start a Starcraft Mod for Source? well i checked to see if there were any others, and they all appear to be dead, so I would like some feedback from you guys? for those of you who have played starcraft you will know what i'm about to refer to;

I figured in terms of Zerglings & Roaches from starcraft, (zerglings = melee aliens) (Roaches = Acid spitting aliens), since i have no coding knowledege, i assume that the antlions and antlion workers would be a good base for these etc.

so the idea in my head right now, is that you play the role of a Marine (alone or in a team, i'm not sure right now) Battling the ever persistent threat of infestation from the Zerg horde, may include Protoss in the storyline, i'm not sure.

for those of you who do not know what Starcraft is; just youtube "Starcraft 2 cutscene" and you will have a brief concept of what it's about.
anyways guys;

what are your thoughts on such a mod?
<<

Nicadeamas

Captain
Captain

Post Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:23 am

Re: Starcraft SP Mod

That's some large scale modding work.
I know I couldn't do it alone, and I doubt I could get a team together that is good enough to do it.
It would be pretty cool, but If you want to accomplish it, it will probably take you a few years. The best way I can think of to do it, is to build kinda a package for modding css, dm or TF2. So that you have reskined characters, starcrafty maps, and console hacked weapons.
Then building up from there, the idea is you get something small going, and if it becomes popular, you continue upgrading it toward your goal, while hopefully gaining support and help from the community that is playing what you've already released.
Either way, I see it as a long term goal that would be awesome, but very hard to accomplish.
<<

reacT

Private First Class
Private First Class

Post Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:18 pm

Re: Starcraft SP Mod

I was thinking the same to be honest, it is damn-near impossible to accomplish alone, since i can just; level design, edit the basic scripts n such, create textures, create music/sound. the whole modelling / animating process is a major setback for me right now, I have begun however. I have a base HL2 SP mod and editing it from there, my progress right now, although nowhere near what i would like it to be, is just to get a general "feel" for what i t will be like, heres a vid if you're interested;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjRwucpQ3f0

Not all content belongs to me (obviously), but just playing around to see what is possible. :)

Return to Single Player Maps / Mods