FAQ  •  Login

My first mod

<<

Andy

Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:18 pm

My first mod

Ok, i've decided to turn this map that i am making into a small mod so i can modify some small things. Hit a problem already however, when you select "Create a Mod" and you get to the second window where you specify the "directory you would like to intall the mod into" and then the name of the mod which will be the subdirectory in the SourceMods folder. Is the first one where the SDK documents go, so it would be something like:

C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\username\sourcesdk_content\ModName\

??
<<

Craziestdan

Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Post Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:37 pm

Re: My first mod

The one where it says pick a name for the mod, automatically goes in the right folder, which is steam/steamapps/sourcemods/mod_here

The other one where it says to choose a directory, IE c:/My mod is just the source code.
<<

Andy

Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:09 am

So where should that go? Is it better to have it in the Steam directory or what? i dno where to put it...
<<

joff

First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:41 am

Ok Andy when you open Source SDK and select make a new mod it will give you 2 boxs to type in..

The first is drive path which is where the CODE SOURCE is

and the 2nd is the mod name

It automatically makes the mod folder in X:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\SourceMods

all you need to do is open the source in a c++ dev Environment like visual c++ express or visual studio..

If you are just making making a map mod you can use my dlls i have already compilied for muster and stick them in steam/steamapps/sourcemods/YOURMOD/bin

if you need any help i am normally around on here
Programmer / Web Designer / Server Admin
www.joffcom.net
www.pontification.net
<<

musterfox

Private First Class
Private First Class

Post Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:52 am

The reason for two separate dir structures is basically to separate your "source" files that are used to create your mod and the "release" files which are what you eventually give out to the world.

When you use the create a mod option, you get two fields to fill in. The first is where you specify a place to store your "source" files. For example all your Maps (.VMF) files will go into (assuming you choose C:\MyMod as your source dir)

C:\MyMod\Mapsrc

The files in this directory are only for your own use - they are NOT distributed when you release you mod as they are the original "source" files used to create your mod.

The second field you get to fill in namely -

"Enter the mod name. This will be..etc. etc..mod's content files"

is the name you want to create for your actual mod directory. Whatever "name" (eg. AndysMod) you enter here is what is used to create a directory structure under a special directory named "sourcemods".

So, if your entered "AndysMod", a directory with the same name would be created like

sourcemods\AndysMod

This is your actual "RELEASE" mod directory, meaning when you finish your mod, all the content present in "AndysMod" and all sub directories below that is what you give out to the world.

To give you an example for why there are two separate directory structures namely C:\MyMod and sourcemods\AndysMod in the above example, consider the following:-

When you create your original maps in Hammer, your .VMF files are present in

C:\MyMod\Mapsrc

When you compile your maps, this result in a .BSP. This .BSP file is automatically copied by Hammer into your

sourcemods\AndysMod\Maps

directory.

Hope that helps clarify your question....
<<

Andy

Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:26 am

Oh right, i get it, thanks.
So it doesnt matter where i choose for the source files. Also Joff, could i have those dlls please? is that everything i need then? Just the dlls and then i can make some maps/textures etc, stick them in the mapsrc/materialsrc folders, compile the maps, make a zip/exe document with all the files in SourceMods/MyMod in it and then release it? Essentially that is... is there any other major requirments for the mod to work?
<<

joff

First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:47 am

yea should be fine
Programmer / Web Designer / Server Admin
www.joffcom.net
www.pontification.net

Return to Single Player Maps / Mods