FAQ  •  Login

Content problem

<<

Andy

Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:42 am

Content problem

Ok, i have set my mod to appid 218 because i want content from hl2, ep1 and ep2. Joff said he would do the mounting for me. Im not entirely sure what needs to be done but i have the problem that in hammer i am missing all the ep2 content. The fgd being used by hammer is:
sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\halflife2.fgd. Im pretty sure this is the one im meant to be using if i want ep2 content and yet I am missing loads opf stuff from my vmf. I opened the vmf in half life 2 hammer and it was the same. Which suggests that my Outbreak mod is set to half life 2 even though i have the hlaflife2.fgd from the orange box bin.

Also, when i run the map in my mod the pine trees and textures from ep2 are showing and everything works except it cant find the hunter npc. Im really confused to what is going on here.
<<

Craziestdan

Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Post Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:15 pm

Re: Content problem

The hunter npc, and any other weapon/npc from Ep2/Ep1 must have the code bundled in the dlls, mounting doesn't do this, it only makes sure you got the gcf's path mounted, but you need to include the code in the project when compiling it.

For hammer, you need to add the ep2/ep1 fgd, in hammer goto tools>options>in one of the fields it will have a box with a path to the hl2 fgd, you need to click add and browse to the ep2/ep1 fgds. They're in sourcesdk/bin/ep1/bin and sourcesdk/bin/orangebox/bin.
<<

Andy

Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:20 pm

Craziestdan wrote:The hunter npc, and any other weapon/npc from Ep2/Ep1 must have the code bundled in the dlls, mounting doesn't do this, it only makes sure you got the gcf's path mounted, but you need to include the code in the project when compiling it.

I guess that is something for Joff?

It already had orangebox/bin/halflife2.fgd in it, there is no fgd called "ep2.fgd" just the one that is already there. I added the ep1 one which is also called halflife2.fgd just in the ep1/bin folder. So yea, the ep2 content is still apparently missing...
<<

vecima

Type 3
Type 3

Post Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:20 pm

If you just want the episodic stuff, change your AppID from 218 to 420. that will get you all the npcs and everything (you shouldn't even need DLLs). if you want to add code to your mod, then you will need the DLLS and you'll have to make sure you have the NPCs in your code project.

If you're just mapping, don't worry about the code, and put your appID to 420.
<<

musterfox

Private First Class
Private First Class

Post Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:03 pm

Been through this in a lot of detail recently. Heres how I got it working (the way I want it to work).

Your fgd file is fine. I use the same one. IMO your searchpaths are the issue. Let me explain.

For me, using Steamappid 420 alone did not give me access to content from hl2, ep1 and ep2. I also had to change my searchpaths pointing my mod to ep1, ep2 and hl2 content directories. Once that was done, I had access to content from all 3 episodes both in Hammer as well as in-game for my mod.

Just make sure you are clear on the downside of doing so - namely end user mod requirements.

For me, its was a no brainer as there was no way I was going re-create over a 1000+ props alone. Why reinvent the wheel? The props are there to be used, so use them.

If you want to be productive with your time, use it to create NEW props that dont exist. Ditto for textures, sounds, yadda yadda...

As for dlls, I did use the one Joff very kindly compiled but could see no visible difference - as in no additional content became available when they were used. This is no fault of Joffs and I really appreciate his compiling the dll's to begin with.

IMO, setting Steamappid to 420 and modifying your searchpath is all you will ever need to do. The dll's in your "bin" dir are redundant as long as you dont have any "code" of your own. The game picks up any required Dll's automatically based on the Steamappid and your Searchpaths.

Works for me, so thats what I am sticking to....
<<

Craziestdan

Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Post Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:31 pm

Andy wrote:
Craziestdan wrote:The hunter npc, and any other weapon/npc from Ep2/Ep1 must have the code bundled in the dlls, mounting doesn't do this, it only makes sure you got the gcf's path mounted, but you need to include the code in the project when compiling it.

I guess that is something for Joff?

It already had orangebox/bin/halflife2.fgd in it, there is no fgd called "ep2.fgd" just the one that is already there. I added the ep1 one which is also called halflife2.fgd just in the ep1/bin folder. So yea, the ep2 content is still apparently missing...

Ahh just remember ep2 hammer stuff is already in the hl2 fgd/or base.fgd. And yes it is something joff will have to do, but is a slice of cherry cake ;)

I wouldn't recommend vecima's choice for you to use appid 420, because then it would require ep2 to play, which just means less people able to play the mod. 218 is the best because any source game owner can play it ^^
<<

Andy

Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:54 pm

Ok muster, what exactly is it that i need to do? set it to 420 and then add the ep1+ep2 fgds?
<<

musterfox

Private First Class
Private First Class

Post Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:10 am

I didnt touch any FGD's - I used defaults as setup when one uses the "create a mod" option and selects "Orange box" as "engine ver" and "HL2EP2" as "current game".

This uses the halflife2.fgd present in \sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin and sets the SteamAppId to 420 automatically.

What I did change is my Searchpaths. I have attached my file gameconfig.txt as copy/paste ruins all the formatting and I dont know if thats a good idea. I had to rar it as .txt files are not allowed as attachments.

You can test it safely as follows -

Backup (or rename) your gameconfig.txt file in your

sourcemods\AndysMod\

directory and replace it with mine. RE-START Steam (though prolly re-launching the SDK would be enough) and try it out.

When you load up Hammer, select (or place) an existing prop and Browse for additional models. You should see 3068 models listed as available.

Additionally, you can also see which game each model belongs to as the game name is listed along side the model.

I would advise you to go through the models and see if you need the ones listed against a specific game type. If not, its safe to completely remove the searchpath entry that corresponds to that game type from your gameconfig.txt file. I want all - so thats what my searchpaths are set to.

Its easy to test to check if its working.

Simply place one model from each game into a test map, recompile, launch and enter your mod. You will find all of them appearing correctly in game. That should prove to you that its working.

Let me know if that helps...
Attachments
gameinfo.rar
(221 Bytes) Downloaded 199 times
<<

Andy

Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:43 am

Ok, thanks, the hammer problem is sorted but it still cant find the hunter npc in-game.

Code:
"GameInfo"

{
   // This is what shows up in the 'Third Party Games' area of the Steam games list.
   game                  "Outbreak"
   icon                  "resource/logo"
   developer               "Andy and Joff"
   developer_url               "http://www.type3studios.com/"
   type                   singleplayer_only

FileSystem
   {
      SteamAppId            420    // GCF for Source SDK Base
      ToolsAppId            211      // Tools will load this (ie: source SDK caches) to get things like materials\debug, materials\editor, etc.

//
      // The code that loads this file automatically does a few things here:
      //
      // 1. For each "Game" search path, it adds a "GameBin" path, in <dir>\bin
      // 2. For each "Game" search path, it adds another "Game" path in front of it with _<langage> at the end.
      //    For example: c:\hl2\cstrike on a french machine would get a c:\hl2\cstrike_french path added to it.
      // 3. For the first "Game" search path, it adds a search path called "MOD".
      // 4. For the first "Game" search path, it adds a search path called "DEFAULT_WRITE_PATH".
      //

//
      // Search paths are relative to the base directory, which is where hl2.exe is found.
      //
      // |gameinfo_path| points at the directory where gameinfo.txt is.
      // We always want to mount that directory relative to gameinfo.txt, so
      // people can mount stuff in c:\mymod, and the main game resources are in
      // someplace like c:\program files\valve\steam\steamapps\half-life 2.
      //
      SearchPaths
      {
         Game            |gameinfo_path|.
         Game            ep2
         Game            episodic
         Game            hl2
      }
   }
}
<<

musterfox