FAQ  •  Login

No weapons?

<<

Andy

Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:47 am

Re: No weapons?

Went back to the old vmf (for the map where the weapons work). Tested it it make sure it worked for that one and they did. I then added in the map transistion stuff, info_landmark, trigger_changelevel (which was what i added to the map that has non-existant weapons). Ran it and the weapons didnt work. So now i think its something to do with those map transition bits... Is there any special requirments for this? Both info_landmarks are named the same. Do they need to be the same co-ordinates in both maps. Im not entirely sure what/if ive done anything wrong. If someone who knows how to use these well could have a look at both vmfs that would be great.
<<

Andy

Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:57 am

Level transitions must be two-way. That is to say, there must be a trigger_changelevel in the next level that points to the current level, as well as the trigger_changelevel taking the player to the next level. If a one-way level transition is desired, simply make this second trigger_changelevel inaccessible to the player.

The info_landmark must be in the player's PVS when the level change is triggered. If it is not, the level change will fail. Both info_landmark entities must have the same name.

Although the info_landmark should be in a corresponding position in both levels, the two trigger_changelevel brushes must NOT be in the same place in each level. If they are, you will be thrown into an infinite loop, endlessly ping-ponging back and forth between the two levels.

I have followed this and made sure everything said on the VDC page is done. I dont get it :(
<<

musterfox

Private First Class
Private First Class

Post Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:46 pm

Andy wrote:If someone who knows how to use these well could have a look at both vmfs that would be great.

Apparentely vecima had his share of run-ins with this entity a couple of months ago, so he may be able to help you.

If hes busy with BOP, I can try and help if you like but please note I have used the changelevel entity only once as a "test", to understand how it works so that I could use it for my own levels when required. I did not encounter the problems you seem to be facing.

What you can do is, delete all the geometry, entities etc. from both .vmf's apart from whats in the "rooms" prior to and immediately after the transition area. Re-check that your weapons arent showing up in these truncated "mini map" and send them across to me for a look. If I do manage to fix it, all you need to do is copy paste any fixes into your existing world and continue on....
<<

vecima

Type 3
Type 3

Post Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:18 pm

I'm certainly willing to have a look at your maps to see if i can find anything. I had several issues with map transitions not working (i still have an issue), but i may be able to help. I'll try to get online tonight, but If I can't i should be able to get online tomorrow.
<<

vecima

Type 3
Type 3

Post Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:38 am

Andy, this is looking to be a great mod! i can't wait to see more about it.

i fixed your invisible weapon issue.

it was a strange one alright... it also caused some other problems.

here it is:

in the map (not the intro one) you have an entity called camera_1. you enable it when the map starts with a logic_auto. you also kill it after 20 seconds. what i did is instead of kill after 20 seconds, i sent a "Disable" input after 20 seconds and a "Kill" input after 21 seconds. that's all i changed. solved it for me.

also, i had a problem (before making that change) where once in a while i would break a box and one of the box fragments would take over the view. only when the box fragment faded away would the view go back. I didn't seem to have that problem after making the change though, so it could have been related.
<<

Kenny

Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Post Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:15 am

This reminds me actually-
There is a glitch I ran into in my uses of point_viewcontrol. For some reason the viewmodel weapon disappears after transferring back to the player. I worked around it by having the necessary sequence take place before a level switch, to negate it's effects.
<<

vecima

Type 3
Type 3

Post Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:51 pm

that sounds like the same problem Andy was having.

when turning the camera off, make sure you send the "Disable" input before sending a "Kill" input.

Killing the active camera seemed to cause the problem.
<<

Andy

Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:19 pm

:o :o YES!!! IT WORKS!!

Thank you so much vecima, i can get back to mapping now (im one of those people that has to have everything ive done so far working properly before i continue). Thanks again.

Also, thanks for the positive feedback.

Consider it an exclusive glimpse. ;)
<<

musterfox

Private First Class
Private First Class

Post Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:13 am

vecima how on earth did you figure it out? I would never have thought of that in a million years!
<<

vecima

Type 3
Type 3

Post Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:53 am

:t3blkninjavanish:
PreviousNext

Return to Single Player Maps / Mods