FAQ  •  Login

Questions... ^_^

<<

reacT

Private First Class
Private First Class

Post Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:21 pm

Questions... ^_^

Hey guys, just thought i'd give a quick post here, got a few questions concerning this mod, if that's okay :)

Firstly; I Understand this is a single player mod, based as a HL2 sub-story without any direct ties into the main HL2 storyline, what kind of custom content are we going to expect, i.e new Weapons, sounds, music, huds, textures, skins, etc etc.
As the problems for me when I play HL2 and EP1&2, are the overused textures, especially urban textures (not so much in Ep2) but is the most frustrating thing for me.

Secondly; Being a single player mod are you going to emphasise on the new story? dramatics are always a bonus in my opinion, as long as they're not too cheesy or cliche :).

Third & last; I was wondering if any help would be needed, I've never worked on a mod team before but I would be more than willing to help if possible.

I can do the following:

Create Maps
Create Textures
Create Atmospheres & Music
Create Digital Art

I don't have much free time but would be willing to help out when i can.
<<

vecima

Type 3
Type 3

Post Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:54 am

Re: Questions... ^_^

Hi there... I'm the lead developer (not that I lead a large team here, lol) so I'll field the questions.

This is a single player mod, yes, and will have some custom content. There are a couple new weapons ( only 1 in the first release ), a couple new enemies, and 1 new hud element that relates to a change in the weapon loadout sytem from HL2. There are lots of custom textures in the mod, but this is not a "total conversion" and our team so far is only 3 people, so most of the textures used are stock HL2 - and yes, this is a city setting so much of the textures are from the urban set featured in HL2. hopefully that one won't turn out to be too big of a turn-off for you.

Despite all the stuff listed above, our emphasis is without a doubt story. One of the other developers wrote the story, and has a degree in film, which has helped him craft what I think is a great story. We're also both avid HL2 players, and have had long discussions about what 'fits' in the HL2 universe, and what doesn't.

Help will certainly be needed, but I can't exactly say when. We're simply not organized enough yet to take on more developers, though after our first release we're going to try to get set up for it. This is kind of surprising considering we've been working on this thing for years. The skills you listed most likely fit with what we'll be looking for.

Hang around, as I'll be updating the forum here with some info soon regarding the first release. We've recently decided to get the first part of the mod out the door, even if it isn't perfect yet, just to get some people playing it, with the idea of releasing updates as we go along.
<<

Kenny

Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Post Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:43 am

Considering how much work I've put in into a cutscene workflow in the Source engine, I'd be happy to do those for you as well. (I also have Maya 2011, so theoretically I could add an animation to blackout.mdl that imitates a handheld camera look)
<<

vecima

Type 3
Type 3

Post Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:41 am

I might be pinging you on some anims, Kenny ;)
<<

Kenny

Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Post Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:48 am

Don't plan on too many, I'm still learning the ropes to this animation stuff. And I wish I had a mocap studio.
<<

reacT

Private First Class
Private First Class

Post Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:25 am

I like :) textures aren't that important really but for someone like me who could play HL2 over and over because of the awesome storyline, the textures just used to depress me a little :)

And that's cool just remmember i'm willing to help if and when you need it, I'm not gonna be pushy just would like to do something a little more constructive and help some guys out at same time :D anyways just let me know if and when you need help :D p.s hope the storyline is awesome =D
<<

vecima

Type 3
Type 3

Post Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:29 pm

hopefully you'll get the first taste soon ;)

i'll let you know when and if anything comes up.

Return to The Battle of Philadelphia