FAQ  •  Login

Instancing in Episode Two?

<<

Kenny

Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Post Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:30 pm

Instancing in Episode Two?

Anyone have any practical experience with the Instance functions in newer SDK branches? I'm wondering if it's worth the trouble of extending the SDK with this.
<<

Nicadeamas

Captain
Captain

Post Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:02 pm

Re: Instancing in Episode Two?

Their nice for some things. Like a care that will sound an alarm and flash lights when you shoot it, except you want to have a dozen in the same map without doing all the I/O work or 'paste special'ing
I normally dont prefer to use instances though. They have a lot of nice additional features in Portal 2. But for the rest of stuff I dont think they are worth it unless you have a Logic based, or just complicated, item that you want to use in multiple maps or multiple times.

Actually, a tower that can be seen from multiple maps is the perfect thing for an instance. Because the instance is it's own vmf, and all the other maps are loading it into their vmf. So if you wanted to change that tower later on all you have to do is change the instance and it will be applied to all the other maps that use it. (On next compile.)
<<

Kenny

Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Post Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:41 am

So it's like an auto-updating prefab?
<<

Nicadeamas

Captain
Captain

Post Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:41 am

It's like a prefab, but you can't edit it when your using it. You can only edit the original vmf in which you made it. Plus it can have it's own internal logic thing full of I/Os and entities, and they wont conflict with each other if you use the instance twice in the same map.
Plus there are also ways with your world interacting with the prefabs logic I/Os. Which were improved upon in Portal 2.

I would say it's worth loading up some ep2 maps or some poeral 2 maps so you can see how valve uses prefabs. (But note, valve has always done some.... interesting things with their use of stuff.)
<<

Nicadeamas

Captain
Captain

Post Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:13 am

The true power of an instance is that it enables you to leave the grid. Rotate entire buildings. COMPLEX buildings, without having to worry about hammer killing you quietly in your sleep for it.
The down side (I think) is that instances to not respond to optimization. But I'm not sure... I dont see how they could.

But it seems you can.... because there are portions of valve maps which are an instance. In their tutorial the whole map was composed of instances and nothing else.

Return to Level Design