FAQ  •  Login

Making a mod based on EP2.

<<

Lawnmower233

Private 2
Private 2

Post Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:23 pm

Making a mod based on EP2.

Ok so you change the SteamAppID from 218 to 420. And I'll delete the OB SourceSDK Base *.dll's I have in my bin directory for my mod.

But where do I find the EP2 *.dll's? I've asked 3 times on the Steam forum and no one knows. They just keep telling me to compile my own. Is it really that hard for someone to tell me where they are?

Hopefully you guys will actually give a helpful answer and not just be obsessed with post counts like the Steam forum guys.

Previously I've used what I thought were EP2 ones but I think were actually EP1 ones. I need to be sure I have the proper ones this time. Currently I'm using ones I found in Source 2007 Shared.gcf which I think are OB SourceSDK Base ones. I'd be fine doing this but firstly the AI in the OB SSDK Base is stripped down I think (assaults won't work) and secondly I want to be able to use the new EP2 assets in my mod, so I might as well make it based on EP2.

So can anyone tell me where the EP2 *.dll's are?!?! Pleaseeeee be specific unlike the others.

And I know what you're thinking. Why do I need *.dll's? Well seemingly, rather than loading the game *.dll's from the GCFs according to what SteamAppID my mod has (like it should), it doesn't. The game just plays a movie and then crashes with no error. Seemingly you have to have the *.dll's in your mod's bin folder for OB mods.
<<

vecima

Type 3
Type 3

Post Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:32 pm

Re: Making a mod based on EP2.

welcome to Type 3!

unfortunately i'm at work, so i can't verify my answer... but here goes:

they should be available in one of the GCF files, maybe in episode two content.gcf, though again, i'm not sure right now.

if you are unable to find them by tonight, post again, and I will try to find them.
If i can't find them for you, I'll compile some for you.

tell me, are you planning on adding any code to your mod, or do you just want the exact EP2 behavior?
<<

Lawnmower233

Private 2
Private 2

Post Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:45 pm

vecima wrote:welcome to Type 3!

unfortunately i'm at work, so i can't verify my answer... but here goes:

they should be available in one of the GCF files, maybe in episode two content.gcf, though again, i'm not sure right now.

if you are unable to find them by tonight, post again, and I will try to find them.
If i can't find them for you, I'll compile some for you.

tell me, are you planning on adding any code to your mod, or do you just want the exact EP2 behavior?

Thanks.

Well I just want EP2 behaviour for now. I'm really only mapping and texturing at the moment. Although one thing I would like added (I'm not sure if it's available in EP2) is Detail shapes. They're in DODS and CSS, although only used in DODS. Also the ability to make these detail shapes sway as well. I got errors whenever I tried to use them in my mod based on the OB SourceSDK Base. Dunno about EP2 though, if it has Detail shapes or not.

EDIT:
OK I looked through all the GCFs pertaining to Source 2007 or Episode Two and I found only 2 sets of client and server *.dll's. The first was in Source SDK Base 2007.gcf. They're the ones I'm using now and are obviously for mods using the OB SourceSDK Base. So that just leaves the other set.

It's in Episode Two Content.gcf but is in the ...\episodic\bin\ directory and not the ...\ep2\bin directory. I had used them before but stopped because I thought episodic is the EP1 folder name. I thought it unusual that the EP2 *.dll's would be in the EP1 directory.

But seeing as they are the only other ones then I guess that's them. So I was using the right ones all along before.

Anyway I'll use them again then. But if you don't mind perhaps I could take you up on your offer to compile the *.dll's for me and include the Detail Shapes code I wanted for my detail sprites. You can see test maps for my texture set that includes the sprites here:
http://s49.photobucket.com/albums/f291/ ... 0FINALLLL/
http://s49.photobucket.com/albums/f291/ ... 3/Abhaile/

The sprites aren't finished. I'm going to try and blend them better with the base texture by the way so be gentle. ^^
<<

vecima

Type 3
Type 3

Post Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:59 pm

i can compile the DLLs for you... i'll have to look into the detail shapes... i never knew about them.
<<

Lawnmower233

Private 2
Private 2

Post Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:53 pm

vecima wrote:i can compile the DLLs for you... i'll have to look into the detail shapes... i never knew about them.

Thanks. It allows you to like put detail sprites together into certain shapes like triangles and stuff so they look more realistic. The swaying is also very cool.
<<

vecima

Type 3
Type 3

Post Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:06 pm

if you don't mind, i'll just compile the regular EP2 .DLLs for now... i don't really have time at the moment to look into incorporating the other stuff...

i'll pm you when i have them ready for you.
<<

Lawnmower233

Private 2
Private 2

Post Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:04 pm

vecima wrote:if you don't mind, i'll just compile the regular EP2 .DLLs for now... i don't really have time at the moment to look into incorporating the other stuff...

i'll pm you when i have them ready for you.

Sure that's fine.
<<

Kenny

Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Post Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:36 am

I was having similar difficulties setting up a mod codebase for 5, so if I could have similar assets I would be very grateful.
<<

vecima

Type 3
Type 3

Post Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:04 pm

Kenny, i have a pair of .DLLs compiled for Lawnmower233.

if you would also like them, you are certainly welcome. i'll contact you on steam.

Return to Programming