FAQ  •  Login

VS2003

<<

joff

First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:24 pm

Re: VS2003

.net is used for every single windows program, to install anything you need a version of .net, its basically just a set of runtime files, the .net language is a bit different as it is mainly VB/VB script, maybe the stop coding comment was a bit too harsh, and i would like to take this moment to apologise i forgot that everyone at some point dosnt know certain bits when learning and as the programming world is a large one no one every knows all of it.

Sorry again Dan
Programmer / Web Designer / Server Admin
www.joffcom.net
www.pontification.net
<<

Craziestdan

Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Post Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:27 pm

joff wrote:.net is used for every single windows program, to install anything you need a version of .net, its basically just a set of runtime files, the .net language is a bit different as it is mainly VB/VB script, maybe the stop coding comment was a bit too harsh, and i would like to take this moment to apologise i forgot that everyone at some point dosnt know certain bits when learning and as the programming world is a large one no one every knows all of it.

Sorry again Dan

No problem at all :t3razz:
I'll be sure to chec kout .NET more indepth soon, as my C++ tutorials are nearing the end :D
<<

joff

First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:03 am

thats cool
www.joffcom.net
www.pontification.net
<<

vecima

Type 3
Type 3

Post Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:48 pm

joff wrote:.net is used for every single windows program, to install anything you need a version of .net...

i have to disagree. Maybe every Microsoft program for windows, but there are hundreds of apps that don't use it. have you never tried applications written in Java? Eclipse (the API) for one is written in Java, and it has a good many features i wish i saw in visual studio. let us not forget that windows, c++, and microsoft do NOT make up the entirety of the computing world.
<<

joff

First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:03 am

its not just C++, Windows uses .net and needs it to be updated, and Windows Installer uses it aswell, Hence every Windows based machine will use it.

Linux however dosnt need it and as i am more of a linux fan anyway its all good for us
www.joffcom.net
www.pontification.net
<<

vecima

Type 3
Type 3

Post Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:47 pm

right, but you don't have to use a windows installer to install an app. some don't even have an installer.

i like linux, i just wish you could play modern games on it.

i find it funny that many of the servers run for online gaming of windows games are linux servers.
<<

joff

First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:23 pm

yea that has always amused me aswell, which distro of linux do you use

oh and WINE is god
www.joffcom.net
www.pontification.net
Previous