FAQ  •  Login

What makes good Game music?

<<

masterkhufu

Sergeant
Sergeant

Post Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:13 pm

What makes good Game music?

As the subject of this topic mentions, I'm interested in your opinions as to what makes good, memorable game music.

I have been involved in some other projects since my work with Zentech here, and have learned a lot. I'd really like to hear what you guys think, so I can apply it to what I write, and improve.

This thread is also to plug my services once again, I as just finished my last project last week. :P

I would love to hear your thoughts!
<<

Kenny

Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Post Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:46 pm

Re: What makes good Game music?

With game music, there's a few things to consider:

-Valve's approach is incidentals, so you have to come up with music that fits a certain context. For instance, some ambiance when you watch Alyx meeting with her dad, or the climactic battle music in the final battle of Episode Two.

-Depending on how often or little you use the music, you could end up directly influencing a player's feelings mid game. Shadow of the Colossus, for example, uses very little music, only in cutscenes and one theme for each Colossi. The rest of the game, there's no music, just ambient audio used to create a feeling of desolation which really works well.

-If you're making a game more for the old school, then you need to design with loops in mind and make the music very catchy. The old Sonic titles, Rocket Knight Adventures, and other such titles have this approach to music. And those themes are DAMN catchy.

-My mod will likely use a combination of incidental and some looping ambiance, more like Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, since music would only really pop in at certain areas and leave you with the world ambiance in others. In Chaos Theory (and other such stealth games) the music indicates how alert the guards are, so it's a tool for the player to use. When you're discovered by enemies you get the really intense chase/combat, when they're looking for you it's only a bit less intense but it still gets your pulse running, since it feels like they could find you *at any moment,* and the ambient music helps you focus on where to go, what routes to use, and as a compliment to the in game world soundscapes.

-Licenced music is for racing games or people too lazy to make their own game themes. But that is probably my two cents, because LSTs are cool in games that merit it, like the Burnout games and Jet Set Radio, used to get the blood pumping and the players moving fast.
<<

masterkhufu

Sergeant
Sergeant

Post Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:13 pm

Excellent ideas, I agree with you totally! The type of music most definitely is dependent on the context. Good game music must achieve a desired result - excellent.

What kind of instrumentation are you thinking of? Or is it going to be more electronic-type stuff?
<<

Kenny

Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Post Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:30 pm

Sample based electronica with elements of improvised instrumentation. And if someone helps out, big beat.
<<

Nicadeamas

Captain
Captain

Post Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:18 am

In my opinion your average fps game would sound best with deep low pitched and lots of base music that moves and sways slowly. Spooky moments would be very deep and very thundering base. with random events like a clicking / squeaking wheel in the distance, a slow dripping water with and echo. The Random howls or screeches that may or may not be mechanical or biological.
The background base movements and music for spooky maps could loop and you would easily not know it. but it's the random "spook sounds" that make it work.

Action moments would of course have more interesting music with a catchy tune, steady beat, and high points.

But I must say, the music done for Zentech is nothing like the music I am talking about above. Zentech music is a bit strange, it sometimes sounds like game music, other times sounds corny, which is why it's perfect for Zentech. But in a more action based serious mod or game, it would have much more base, much less "happiness" in the tune, and more of a depressed or busy feeling then the Zentech music.
:t3ncrazy:

Black Mesa music is an AWESOME set of music to listen to for ideas, it fits the "Black Mesa Research Facility" + "oops I opened a portal" + "Ohh now the good guys are bad guys because they came to stop the real bad guys but think we are bad guys too." theme Excellently. But that style would also work nice for other games.
<<

Kenny

Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Post Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:28 am

So far, the inFamous soundtrack that I recently bought is THE soundtrack I wanted to make.

Pitch perfect.
<<

joff

First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:10 pm

i personally like odd sounds but then it depends on the game, Lumines has a brilliant sound track that only works with that game..

As a group (azurebot!) we have 2 composers that we use:

www.michaelmacallister.com

www.bophe.com
Programmer / Web Designer / Server Admin
www.joffcom.net
www.pontification.net

Return to Sound / Music