FAQ  •  Login

need suggestions

<<

vecima

Type 3
Type 3

Post Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:38 am

need suggestions

i was messing around tonight, and i was hoping for some suggestions on how to improve, or where to go with this bit of music.

i made this entirely out of virtual instruments (something that i'm not that experienced with).

thanks

virtual_project_1.zip
(1.82 MiB) Downloaded 230 times
<<

Kenny

Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Post Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:40 am

Re: need suggestions

That actually sounds like a battle theme to a tactical RPG like Fire Emblem...
Very nifty! Where did you get those virtual instruments?
<<

vecima

Type 3
Type 3

Post Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:43 pm

that was done in Mixcraft v4.2
<<

masterkhufu

Sergeant
Sergeant

Post Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:05 pm

well, improvement is relative to what you wish to achieve. it depends on what kind of mood you're attempting to create.

however, i can make some suggestions that deal with the fundamentals of music:

1.) it sounds a bit disjunct, try having your instruments play your main theme in a repetitive order, such as brass, woodwinds, string, brass, woodwinds, strings, etc. this creates a sense of coherence for the listener, and is easier to follow.

2.) evenness. the timpani and tuba enter together at the beginning, and quickly diverge. that's not bad, but what may be very confusing for the listener is how random the rhythms of the pulse seem to be. pulse and rhythm is everything in music; a good pulse alone will score brownie points.

3.) make a statement and respond. the way you started it would be fne for an introduction, but too much of it just becomes monotonous. music works the same way english does, one you make a statement, you must elaborate.

Example statement: "The boy sat on the dog."

Example Elaboration: "The dog didn't like the boy sitting on him, so he bit him in the butt."

When you elaborate, you have to elaborate about something that you've already said for it to make sense. In English, you wouldn't do this:

Statement: "The boy sat on the dog."

Elaboration: "Waffles taste good with syrup and a fork."

That just doesn't make sense. Music is much the same way. In your case, your statement is your 2 note theme comprised of a major second. You can easily add to this by continuing up the scale for a couple more notes, introducing a small jump, or influencing a different chord, or really any number of other things, but those are just a couple small ideas.

You also introduce a call and response theme between the brass and the strings, where the brass states the main theme with an upper neighboring tone, and the strings respond with an atonal arpeggiation.

In short, give your music a sense of direction. It doesn't matter which way, it just all has to go the same way.

Hope that helps.
<<

vecima

Type 3
Type 3

Post Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:34 pm

that's actually very helpful! thanks! :t3razz: :t3razz:

you've put into words some of the things i felt were missing, but wasn't sure how to describe.

I've been a musician for quite some time (12 years on bass), and have even written some
guitar and bass parts, but I've never really been a "composer" before. that's what i'm sort of
trying to move into - full compositional pieces.
<<

masterkhufu

Sergeant
Sergeant

Post Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:50 pm

excellent. glad to hear that i was able to help you. i would love to be able to go more in depth with you. if you have any questions about music or composition, feel free to ask man.

tips for learning basic methods of composition:

1.) learn how a song is structured, and all the different types of structures. there are tons.

2.) learn how to identify different parts of a structure by listening to it.

ex. "introduction" "verse" "chorus" "bridge" etc etc.

3.) learn the circle of 5ths

4.) from the circle of 5ths, learn how to form basic cadences.

5.) WRITE MUSIC ALL THE TIME.

6.) don't be afraid to experiment with how different sounds work, ex. - "ugly" sounds.

7.) WRITE MUSIC ALL THE TIME.

8.) WRITE MUSIC ALL THE TIME.

and number 9.

9.) WRITE MUSIC ALL THE TIME.

hope that helps.

and i'm not exaggerating. the more music you write, the better you get.

you can practice on this Slavonic Waltz that I wrote for a Sonata that I'm still working on. or you can just listen to it for fun. :P either way, here it is:
Attachments
Sonata #1.zip
(790 Bytes) Downloaded 227 times
Sonata #1.zip
(790 Bytes) Downloaded 231 times

Return to Sound / Music