FAQ  •  Login

How does one find voiceactors?

<<

musterfox

Private First Class
Private First Class

Post Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:01 am

How does one find voiceactors?

Problem is, its somewhat easier for a established mod developers to find voice actors through casting calls etc. but what about first time mappers (like me) who are looking for something similar for their mods?

I have played some mods where the voice acting was TERRIBLE though the mods themselves were good. Now I see why they had a problem.

Will I just have to post on forums and hope someone will show some mercy? ;)

Or are some other solutions available?

I extracted the dialogue data and sound files from all 3 games, went through 100's of sound files, tried to copy/edit/hack voice clips together but didnt get very far due to various reasons. I cant re-use existing dialogue for obvious reasons - what I want said has not been said.

Any advice appreciated.

I wish there was a software around like that episode in 24....where it can "learn" a persons accent and then you can have it say anything....ahhhhhhhh :|
<<

joff

First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:19 pm

Re: How does one find voiceactors?

easiest way to do this is use your friends, or even get people on here to lend there voice

but i would say forums is the best way unless you can get random people out on the street, just blag some kind of "uni student voice similarity studies" or something..
Programmer / Web Designer / Server Admin
www.joffcom.net
www.pontification.net
<<

Nicadeamas

Captain
Captain

Post Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:03 pm

Yeah, best way for us is to just ask everyone you see, have them upload a voice clip they made, and then pick whichever ones you like the best and give those people you pick the rest of their scripts.

Once you do have the voice files though, you will need to edit them somhow to get that "man behind mic" feeling out. Probably hard to do... ohh joy.

Anyone know of some good voice / sound editing programs? Because this is something I will need to do as well.
<<

musterfox

Private First Class
Private First Class

Post Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:52 pm

Audacity is freeware and a lot of people swear by it. Some prefer Goldwave but its not free.

Looks like I will have to learn audio editing now as well. :t3mad:
<<

Craziestdan

Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Post Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:43 pm

Goldwave is good, but Audacity is just as good. Goldwave has a free version (google it) so it's best if you try the trial version and the free full version of Audacity before you go ahead and buy Goldwave.
<<

Kenny

Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Post Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:56 am

Audacity is pretty good, I've been mixing some sounds with it for Five's music soundtracks. It's a pretty flexible editor.
<<

joff

First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:07 am

i used audacity as part of my music tech course and you will struggle to find a better editor for sounds.

alot of plugins aswell
www.joffcom.net
www.pontification.net
<<

masterkhufu

Sergeant
Sergeant

Post Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:15 pm

i've never tried audacity, but i've been using Adobe Audition 1.5 for 4 years now, and it's always done whatever i've needed it to do.

the trick to getting the "man behind the mic" sound out is all about how it's recorded. if it is recorded where the voice of the actor is allowed to bounce off of the surrounding environment, you're going to have an echo.

it also depends on the mic that's used to. for example, you wouldn't want to use a condenser drum mic for a voice, where a cardioid vocal mic would be more appropriate.
<<

joff

First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:25 pm

i would say that it dosnt matter where you sound, if your good enough you change alot..

For example if you shouted in a cave i could remove the echos and make it like a whisper

That goes for the mic aswell, within reason..

If you use something designed for one purpose for something else it is going to be different. its just playing with settings till you get your sound
www.joffcom.net
www.pontification.net
<<

Jessahkat

Private 2
Private 2

Post Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:44 am

There are a number of amateur voice actors looking for work all across the web, it's finding them that's the hard part. I suggest deviantArt, YouTube, or even 4chan. Sift through communities for a while and you're bound to find something. Good luck.
Next

Return to Sound / Music