FAQ  •  Login

Drive Failure = Me Doing not much :(

<<

vecima

Type 3
Type 3

Post Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:19 pm

Drive Failure = Me Doing not much :(

So, I was hoping to get back to doing some mod or other game work after I finished playing Deus Ex. Only I found out that one of the drives on my desktop failed.
I'm planning on using my new laptop for my development work, but the desktop drive had some work that hadn't been backed up yet, so I'm in the process of trying to recover the data.
only.... it's.... taking..... for...e....v..e...r..... and I'm not even sure I'll get the data back.

I was finally feeling the motivation to get to work on things and now I feel like I had the rug pulled out from under me.
So that's what's up. That's why I haven't been that active (though I'm still around a lot, I just haven't been posting as much).

By the way, anyone have any recommendations for drive recovery software? If I'm lucky I've only lost the partition table, and the data may still be intact.
<<

Nicadeamas

Captain
Captain

Post Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:24 pm

Re: Drive Failure = Me Doing not much :(

I'm useless on the drive recovery software. But I know how you feel to have the rug pulled out. I find what gives me the most motivation is to build some tinny little thing that would be cool. Then as your motivation builds up just from getting into it. the tinny little thing becomes awesome and your set to go for a while.
:-)
Sorry to hear about your drive.
<<

daz_rich

Sergeant
Sergeant

Post Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:43 pm

i recovered around 80gb from sectors. some files i deleted 3 years ago
dunno what program but it was on hirens boot cd, its a xp mini boot cd.

the program i used searched the drive sector by sector only thing i lost was videos over 10mb
▲<Please ignore the above text since it lacks anything to do with English>▲

<<

vecima

Type 3
Type 3

Post Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:48 pm

I guess I should have mentioned that I was going to be away last week, but um... I didn't.
But I'm back. yay!
I still haven't attempted to recover the contents of that drive yet. It's another thing on my list of things to do if I had time lol.
<<

vecima

Type 3
Type 3

Post Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:27 pm

I finally got some good news about that hard drive. My brother in law said he could get the data off of it for me with some special equipment which he has. If this works then I'll have all of my game projects back and might actually be productive again. It's been good taking a break and playing lots of games, but I'm kind of ready to get back to work on some stuff. Here's hoping he can do it. If so, I should be back in business in a week or so.
<<

Kenny

Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Post Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:31 pm

Sweet! When should we expect a new BOP beta? =P
<<

vecima

Type 3
Type 3

Post Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:50 am

heh. There wasn't going to be another beta. I had decided to just fix up what I could and release it. Any remaining problems would maybe be fixed in later updates, which would also add additional chapters.
Even if i get my data back, (actually I think I have BOP backed up on my web repo) the SDK will need to not be broken in order for me to finish this.
<<

vecima

Type 3
Type 3

Post Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:04 pm

So, I got word back that my data is gone for good. It sucks because among other things lost was all of the art and code for an android game I was working on. That's going to need to be started from scratch. One positive is that I've decided not to work on it till I can get BOP out the door. So all I ready need is the SDK to be in working form. I know there's been some trouble recently, but anybody know what the current status is?

Return to General / Off Topic Discussion