Construct 2

Anybody use it? know it?
<<

vecima

Type 3
Type 3

Post Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:27 am

Re: Construct 2

Never heard of it before. Just checked it out quickly. I'm a little skeptical of all of the tools that claim "no coding required" because the tools basically have to be incredibly complex to make up for the fact that they can't be coded you any one project's slecific needs.

Aside from that... why pay them $129 when you can learn unity for free? I think you only pay unity if you actually release something. Unreal is now free as well, though I have no idea if it supports 2d games at all.
<<

DeathSpector

Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Post Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:45 pm

Yeah I know it, I use it.
I know some java, and javascript, html, css, and it's still difficult for me.
It's hard to find a straight answer.
I've used it for 6 months or so.I still read the manual and posts all the time.
It will be worth it when I figure it all out.
:t3samfisher: :t3samfisher:
sidenote: I have exported a test game to my android tablet also. It worked fine.
<<

DeathSpector

Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Post Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:55 pm

vecima wrote:Never heard of it before. Just checked it out quickly. I'm a little skeptical of all of the tools that claim "no coding required" because the tools basically have to be incredibly complex to make up for the fact that they can't be coded you any one project's slecific needs.

Aside from that... why pay them $129 when you can learn unity for free? I think you only pay unity if you actually release something. Unreal is now free as well, though I have no idea if it supports 2d games at all.

Yes, but Unity doesn't come with all those tools they show off unless you go Pro right? $1000.00 +?
Or does it?
Cause I'm looking into that too. :t3samfisher:
<<

Nicadeamas

Captain
Captain

Post Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:55 am

I mostly never tried unity because it looks intimidating. Kinda looks like what I remember of Blender. And Blender was a nightmare for me because they continually updated it with all kinds of stuff, which then lead to all the tutorials referencing things, commands, buttons, shortcuts, that I didn't have, and it drove me crazy.

I think Construct appeals to me for two main reasons.
1. It looks simple, and you get the most of it for free.
2. You can sell what you make with the free version. Only catch is if you make 5,000 or more (how would they know) you have to get the paid version, which doesn't cost all that much considering.

It seems kinda straight forward compared to other things I've looked at. But this could be because I haven't looked at much, or I just get along with the styles, layouts, and color schemes.

Spector, Nice picture in your avatar looks cool.
<<

DeathSpector

Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Post Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:24 pm

Nicadeamas wrote:.
I mostly never tried unity because it looks intimidating. Kinda looks like what I remember of Blender. And Blender was a nightmare for me because they continually updated it with all kinds of stuff, which then lead to all the tutorials referencing things, commands, buttons, shortcuts, that I didn't have, and it drove me crazy.

I think Construct appeals to me for two main reasons.
1. It looks simple, and you get the most of it for free.
2. You can sell what you make with the free version. Only catch is if you make 5,000 or more (how would they know) you have to get the paid version, which doesn't cost all that much considering.

It seems kinda straight forward compared to other things I've looked at. But this could be because I haven't looked at much, or I just get along with the styles, layouts, and color schemes.

Spector, Nice picture in your avatar looks cool.

You would be surprised what companys can track. Yeah It's simple I like it.
It uses expressions alot like

int(random(0,4))

(ArrayName.Width - 1) * 64 + 32

stuff like that.
There hundreds if not 1000 plugins for it.
I have the paid version, I'm not pro, I usually spend my time trying to find answers to code stuff.
My teeth hurt so I'm not thinking straight, but if you have a question and you have no one else to ask you just might need, the A-Team. :t3samfisher:
<<

Nicadeamas

Captain
Captain

Post Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:43 am

Cool, I'll hit you up now and then.
Right now the biggest thing I'm trying to do is get sounds working. I've hardly read through a single tutorial on sounds though so I'm probably doing something wrong.
<<

DeathSpector

Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Post Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:57 am

Maybe try a different preview browser. Some browser the sounds don't work.
I use Firefox or NW.js

Also you put the audio thing in there and the import went ok?
<<

Nicadeamas

Captain
Captain

Post Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:09 pm

Seems to have imported alright.
And it does play when I press what makes it play, but it is sluggish, like it is DLing the sound every time it's supposed to play and it takes a little bit to DL. I think I just need to mess with it a bit longer.
<<

DeathSpector

Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Post Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:30 am

Could be the sound file to large or the format, I think .ogg is best for this . I still use Audacity from time to time.
I don't know how new you are but I assume since you know how to import the files that you've got the event right.
Hard to mess up anyways.
I don't know, I still want to say it might be the sound file itself.??
Next

Return to Gaming Discussion